[jcifs] java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: smb

Stent, Adrian Adrian.Stent at kemira.com
Thu Dec 12 01:20:39 EST 2002

I am trying to connect to a remote NT workstation using SmbFile, but come up
with an unknown protocol Exception.
"java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: smb"

The line that throws the exception is:
smbfile = new
SmbFile("smb:\\incmachine;\\incmachine\\administrator:password!@incsql/c/");

normally manually accessing a machine we use:
NET USE /PERSISTENT:NO q: \\machinename\c$ /USER:machinename\administrator
password

I have put the jcifs-0.7.0b9.jar in the same dir as the rest of my class
files.

My aim is to go through a list of NT workstations checking to see if a
directory exists in a NT4 server environment.

Appreciate any feedback.

Adrian