wireless access points

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Aug 28 12:54:48 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:01:36AM +1000, Bob Edwards wrote:
> Ben Elliston wrote:
> >
> > Are Apple Airports the cheapest way to go for an 802.11 access point?
> > Apple's web pages list them for $699 -- can they be purchased cheaper
> > elsewhere?
> >
> > Ben
>
> Don't know about the cheapest - probably are. We just bought two more at
> work for $585 (university pricing - no GST). btw. I bought the first one in
> Canberra almost 2 years ago for $460.
>
> They certainly work well enough and are a neat little unit made by a
> reputable manufacturer - I don't think you can really go wrong with them.
> I believe that the Lucent RG-1000 is almost the same unit, but at almost
> $1000 in these 'ere parts.

and the price sticker on the airport boxes is 695, this is bought from the
apple centre at ANU, approved systems and their apple shopfront at woden mall
will also sell them possibly cheaper than apple's website. (I bought my
airport card for my powerbook at the beginning of the year for $180 rather
than the $200 the apple website sold them for at a local apple dealership (one
of the buzz centres)) Ring up the approved shop front (apple centre) at woden
and ask maybe.

        See You
            Steve

--