Advice

Zaccary Charlesworth zacca at jazi.net
Sun Aug 19 01:52:50 EST 2001

Howdy,

Been reading the archived and subscribed for a while, this is an amazing
resource of information, quite impressive! :)

I'm wanting to establish a wavelink with someone who is roughly 4km's
away (5 max). Line of Sight is reasonable with minimal tree
interference, and a lot of the distance is wetlands so FZ clearance
shouldn't be a problem.

There's a couple of things I wouldn't mind advice on:

a) Where can I purchase either a 2Mbps or 11Mbps wavelan card from,
preferably ISA. I've looked at IDS, but they don't list prices. The
cheaper the better. :) (I'm in West Aus, but anywhere in Aus would be
good)

b) I have about 70m of 50ohm satellite cable here, which I would prefer
to use over buying new stuff. The run will be about 10m at the most.
Will this be suitable, or should I shell out for the stuff that's
$85/10m. And are the pigtail adaptors advertised on x.net
do-it-yourselfable ?

c) I was looking to build the antenna's myself from jasons pages (being
a hobbyist it's more fun :)). Will they work over that distance ?

d) Finally, can omni-directional antenna's be used for the distance I'm
talking about? If so, where and how much. (I've had bad experience
pointing satellites, I'm concerned about the difficulty of pointing an
antenna)

Thanks in advance!