[Samba] SambaNTPassword

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 14 12:37:13 UTC 2024

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:15:42 +0100
Ute Korn via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Her is my situation, that i wanted to have:
>
> SAMBA SERVER have to use the LDAP User for Authentication
> LDAP SERVER with all users and pc entries
> Windows AD Server with all users
> Only the AD Server get the active passwords
>
> The LDAP Server has the option to authenticate the user password by
> SASL Passthrough to the AD Server. This works fine for ssh Login on
> the SAMBA Server, but only with the LDAP Atribute userPassword.
>

> But samba needs the object sambaNTPassword and SASL the object
> userpassword.
>
> When I upgrade my Samba to Samba AD DC, will it be possible to use my
> LDAP Server?
>
> And it is possible to use the SASL Passthrough to the Windows AD
> Server?
>
> Kind regards Ute

What are you using the saslauth for ?
It might be that you no longer need the ldap server.

Active Directory has its own builtin ldap server and you may be able to
run Samba as a Unix domain member joined to the AD domain.
The AD schema has the userpasswod attribute, but (unless someone knows
better) nothing uses it.

Rowland