[Samba] Modern Samba and Android Devices.

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Thu Sep 28 07:27:06 UTC 2023

On 28.09.2023 8:25, Zombie Ryushu via samba wrote:
> I'd like to know an ideal configuration to allow Android Devices to
> browse a Samba Share. I have the past with older versions of Samba 4,
> I was able to trick NMBD into launching. However, I'd like to know if
> there are other ways to do this that are more consistent.
>
> By the way, I fixed my SID Corruption issue. It was caused by a
> winbind library file installed by sssd of all things.

Hi Zombie,

There are a bunch of apps on Android store that can connect to a SMB
share. For example:

  * Total Commander with the LAN plugin (for a bit more technically
    oriented users), supports SMB2 and SMB3 (not SMB1), and encrypted
    connections. It also stays connected in the background, until the
    app is terminated.
  * AndSMB (easier to use, but with nag bar)

I use both of them for connecting to Windows and Samba servers, works
well enough.

HTH.

Peter