[Samba] ubuntu same samba 4.18.6 an two DCs but different samba services

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 15 08:55:00 UTC 2023

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:59:28 +0200
Frank via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Francesc Bassas Serramià
> Serveis Informàtics Campus Terrassa
> C/ Colom 2
> 08222 Terrassa (Barcelona)
> Telèfon : 93.73.98630
> https://serveis.terrassa.upc.edu/sict
>
> Hello,
>
> we have samba 4.18.6 with AD and using two ubuntu 22.04 servers as
> DC's Our repositories are
> https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/linux-schools/samba-latest/ubuntu/
>
> Usually, as they are DCs, the only samba service running was just
> "samba-ad-dc.service"
>
> But, perhaps due to an update, we realized that in one of them the
> samba service running now is "samba4.service" and
> "samba-ad-dc.service" is masked.

Could this be that (rather stupidly) they have renamed
'samba-ad-dc.service' to 'samba4.service' ?
If you run 'ps ax' in a terminal on the DCs, do you see the samba, smbd
and winbind daemons running ?

Personally, I wouldn't run the linux schools distro, I investigated it
and found that it did (rather extensively) what Samba doesn't
recommend, it uses the DCs as fileservers (and just about everything
else, including the kitchen sink). There is also the problem that their
GUI isn't multi DC aware, you really should only use one DC for
administration.

Rowland