[Samba] ERROR: Transfer of 'pdc' role failed: Failed FSMO transfer: WERR_GEN_FAILURE

Matthias Leopold matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at
Fri Jan 22 16:47:55 UTC 2021

Am 22.01.21 um 16:27 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
> On 22/01/2021 14:41, Matthias Leopold via samba wrote:

>>> 'correct' would be if you expect 'DC01' to hold all the FSMO roles.
>> Yes, result is always as expected.

>>> Does this happen if you use 'all' instead of individual Fsmo roles ?
>> It happens with 'samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=all' (which
>> terminates at that point) and with 'samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=pdc'
>>
>> Matthias
>>
> Problem is, it works without errors for myself.
>
> I wonder if it has anything to do with the rid pool ?
>
> Rowland

Interesting point:
I was following "Upgrade A DC and join it to the domain again" from
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_Samba_AD_DC (during which I
transfered the FSMO roles). When I was at the point when I was doing an
online backup of dc02 from the temporarily demoted dc01 I was told by
samba-tool to create a user on dc02 to initialize a rid pool (I had
never created users on dc02 until then). I did so and everything went
fine with the upgrade (although I don't like that after the whole
procedure new rid pools for both DCs where created but that's a
different story). How this relates to the 'samba-tool fsmo transfer
--role=pdc' error I don't know.

Matthias