[Samba] Problem with Samba 4.5.8 as a macOS server

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Mon Apr 3 17:24:36 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 03:46:49PM +0200, Frank Heldt via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I’m trying to use samba 4.5.8 as a file server for my Macs (all 10.12.4 now), as a replacement for netatalk.
>
> I did setup smb.conf as suggested
>
> 	#
> 	# Options for macOS
> 	# http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Netatalk_3.1.11_SRPM_for_Fedora_and_CentOS <http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Netatalk_3.1.11_SRPM_for_Fedora_and_CentOS>
> 	#
> 	ea support = yes
> 	vfs objects = btrfs catia fruit streams_xattr

btrfs should be put to the end of the list.

> 	fruit:encoding = native
> 	streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
> 	streams_xattr:prefix = user.

please be aware that the last two options are seldomly used and currently not
tested in out test-suite. They should work, but ymmv.

> 	# don’t use unix ext.
> 	unix extensions = no

10.12 Macs will use SMB3 and this option is (atm) a SMB1 thingy, so it has no effect.

> and a share
>
> [Transfer]
> 	path = /data/Transfer
> 	public = yes
> 	writable = yes
> 	printable = no
> 	create mask = 0775
> 	directory mask = 0775
>
> Switching between afp:// and smb:// on the Mac looks exactly the same (eg Tags
> are seen on both sides), the performance under Finder via smb:// for this
> share is visibly faster (lots of files there). So that’s perfect :-)
>
> The problem is the create/directory mask: it is totally ignored! Every
> file/folder I create via smb has no group write access, although the mask
> should give it this. Even the force modes are ignored.

Please try setting the global option

  fruit:nfs_aces = no

Alternatively you can set the global umask on the clients to 0 (instead of the
default 022).

Cheerio!
-slow