[Samba] Assistance Needed with Persistent Handles Integration into Version 4.19.3

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Mon Mar 11 08:36:16 UTC 2024

On 3/8/24 08:41, chin housin via samba wrote:
> Hi, I am currently in the process of integrating persistent handle
> code into version 4.19.3 and have encountered a couple of issues for
> which we seek your guidance:

which code? My older WIP branches? Please note that those are *far* from
production ready and should not be used

> 1. In the replay cache section of version 4.19.3, the function
> `smbXsrv_open_set_replay_cache` has discontinued the use of
> `global_id` and only added a local flag (DBWRAP_REPLACE). I wonder if
> there has been any consideration to include the persistent flag
> (DBWRAP_PERSISTENT) as well. 2. When I change the flag from
> `DBWRAP_FLAG_NONE` to `DBWRAP_FLAG_PER_REC_PERSISTENT` in the
> `locking_init_internal` function of share_mode_lock.c, I am unable to
> access the shared folder. The error message  is: "\192.168.24.8\ph is
> inaccessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permissions. The request operation could not be completed
> because of a severe media failure or corruption of the data structure
> on the disk."
>
> Furthermore, I would like to inquire sincerely if persistent handles
> are still under consideration for version 4.19.3? Are they still on
> the development agenda?

Sadly, due to missing funding there hasn't been active development on
this feature for several years. There's likely enough to do to keep a
Samba developer busy for several months.

Cheers!
-slow

--
SerNet Samba Team Lead       https://samba.plus/