setting up authentication policies in 4.20rc2

Jo Sutton jsutton at samba.org
Mon Feb 19 01:48:06 UTC 2024

On 18/02/24 6:11 am, Stefan Kania via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I just tried to setup authentication policies and authentication silos
> in 4.20rc2.
> Following these steps:
> 1. create a policy
> samba-tool domain auth policy create --enforce --name winclient-pol
>
> 2. create a silo
> samba-tool domain auth silo create --enforce --name=winclient-silo
>
> 3. adding a at least one user and one host to the silo
> samba-tool domain auth silo member grant --name=winclient-silo
> --member=winclient\$
> samba-tool domain auth silo member grant --name=winclient-silo
> --member=padmin
>
> BTW: In 4.19 it was "silo member add"
>
> 4. Set single policy for all principals in this silo. with 4.19 that was
> possible and that's by the way also possible with a windows DC. That's
> on a windows DC called "Use a single policy for all principals that
> belog to this authentication silo"
>
> In 4.20 the option --policy is missing, you have only the option to add:
> --user-authentication-policy=
> --service-authentication-policy=
> --computer-authentication-policy=
> So it would be nice if the option --policy will be back

We removed this option in commit
c22400fd8ef961e472ce2803cf4a2ec58b778795. I don’t remember our exact
reasoning, but we must have thought that it didn’t make much sense for a
user and a computer to share the same authentication policy.

> The next step after creating the silo and the policy and adding the
> clients and users to the silo would be adding:
>   --service-allowed-to-authenticate-from=SDDL
> and/or
> -service-allowed-to-authenticate-to=SDDL
>
> But were can I get the SDDL for the user and the client?

Can you explain what you’d like to accomplish in this scenario? If you
want to make sure the user ‘padmin’ authenticates from the computer
‘winclient$’, you can use
‘--user-allowed-to-authenticate-from-device-silo=winclient-silo’, and
make sure the user and the computer both belong to the silo. Or if you
want to let only users in the silo authenticate to the computer
‘winclient$’, you can use
‘--computer-allowed-to-authenticate-to-by-silo=winclient-silo’.

> Stefan

Cheers,
Jo (she/her)