Looking to once again re-bundle LDB

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Wed Feb 14 14:58:17 UTC 2024

14.02.2024 17:46, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
..
> We do rebuilds of the whole stack in Fedora if bots detect samba ABI had changed. So for us it is not a problem.

It's easy to do with "current" Fedora release.  It's entirely different
question when you want to provide current samba to a previous Fedora
release.  And that's where the problem is, - providing "backports" of
current samba to previous releases of distributions.

For RHEL for example, some previous but still supported stable version is
using, say, samba 4.13, and you want to run current samba 4.19 on it, -
you'll have to either provide current sssd (rebuilt against 4.19), or a
rebuild of whatever sssd was used on that older stable RHEL, together
with new samba.  That's what I'm talking about.

This is probably less of an issue for RHEL though. On the samba list
there are quite high demand on new samba for older releases of distributions.

> FreeIPA only supports MIT Kerberos for the server side and SSSD provides Kerberos pre-authentication modules to MIT Kerberos soi it is also best to be built against MIT version.

Yeah, it would be best to build samba against mit krb5, if it were a
supported way.

Thanks,

/mjt