Question for time based group membership in FL 2016

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 21:16:35 UTC 2024

On 01-02-2024 21:38, Douglas Bagnall via samba-technical wrote:
> On 2/02/24 07:22, Stefan Kania via samba-technical wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> I already posted the question in the samba-mailinlist but I think
>> it's more a question for developers :-)
>>
>> I have a question about FL 2016 and if samba supports it. If yes, how
>> can I use it without powershell.
>>
>> In FL 2016 there is the possibility to put a user into a group and
>> the membership is time based. So I could put the user Foo into the
>> group 'domain admins' for 30 minutes and after 30 minutes the system
>> will remove user foo from the group.
>
> That sounds good. We don't do that, and we don't call it part of
> "functional level 2016".
>
> The things that count as "functional level" are listed here:
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels
>

> They are protocol level things -- supporting FL2016 means you can
> properly be a DC in an FL2016 domain.
>
> Temporary memberships is a useful trick that Windows Server 2016 can
> do, for which FL2016 is necessary, but not sufficient.
>
> That's my understanding, at least.
>
> Douglas

Still, if you know what this powershell call changes in the LDAP record
of the group, the user or elsewhere in LDAP, you can mimic this
functionality quite easily with a little cron script on the DC.

I have created a kind similar implementation called auto-lock, where
(admin-)users that member of the "autolock" group automatically get
disabled at midnight every day
(https://github.com/kvvloten/samba_integrations/tree/main/domain_controller/manage_scripts#disable-special-users-daily)

And another piece of cron-scripting makes "password expired" LDAP
searchable (which is not the case with the computed attribute
"msDS-User-Account-Control-Computed"). With this applications like
Privacyidea can disallow MFA for users with an expired domain password.

It can't be hard to query some attribute and add or remove a user from a
group.

- Kees.