Does the Samba AD functionality support setting up a Samba server as a DC in a subdomain to an existing forest?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 29 19:27:18 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-08-28 at 09:15 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-08-24 at 07:35 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 11:51 PM Andrew Bartlett <
> > abartlet at samba.org
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2023-08-23 at 22:28 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-
> > > technical wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >

> > > I want to set up one (or two) Samba DCs in, say test.qa as dc1
> > > and
> > >
> > > dc2. There seems to be clear documentation on how to do this.
> > >

> > > Then I want to set up another Samba DC in subdom.test.qa as
> > > dc1.subdom.test.qa.
> > >

> > > Is this supported by Samba 4.19 and how would I go about doing
> > > it?
> > >

> > > Not as a subdomain in an existing forest.  Only as a distinct
> > > forest.
> > >
> > > I started the work but never finished it.
> > >
> > > Sorry,
> >
> > What would it take to complete that work? Not that I have lots of
> > spare time, but ...
>
> To finish it would take a lot of time, but to get something to a
> state
> where you could use it for error injection and basic tests might be
> simpler.  And I love having more developers on the AD code.
>
> 5583208aed0e4647269e48aa1d3c5c48a73001ac removed the ability to
> access
> the code that is in master, we deliberately didn't remove the
> underlying code, just the point of access that was confusing to our
> users.
>
> There are some branches here that might have bits you need:
>
> https://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=heads
>

> Metze might also have some patches in his tree, I'm sure he will
> mention a reference if he has one.
>
> His repo is here:
> https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=heads

Hi Richard,

Did you ever decide to dig into this?  I'm still happy to answer
questions and help you progress this a little - some of the inno.tech
folks seem to be interested in the same space and so it might be a good
time to get some of the basics in place.  We should still hide this
behind a selftest flag however.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions