GitLab runner update - fix samba-fips on Rackspace runners

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 6 02:24:02 UTC 2023

Just a heads-up that I've rebuild the GitLab CI runner at Rackspace.

The old kernels were  4.15.0-159-generic from Ubuntu 18.04

The Kernel under our CI images is now 5.15.0-41-generic from Ubuntu
22.04

The shared runners are 5.4.109+  BTW.

This seems to fix a persistent failure in the samba-fips test, eg as
seen here: https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/jobs/4840635606

I've also taken the opportunity to set the maximum job timeout in the
Rackspace side to 4 hours - within 5 hours a VM will be terminated by
cloud-checker.py, as script running on the bastion host, and to make it
not block.  (Blocking deleting hosts is bad, sometimes the calls stall
and fail to complete, preventing other VMs from being killed off).
This should help keep our CI bill under control.

Also of interest is a MR to only use shared runners
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3255

I'm shocked to see this all green!

This would mean we could save our private runners for security work
only.

Finally, I've noticed that GitLab upstream has removed their reliance
on Docker Hub, so the limitation (an aggressive rate limit) that
blocked our move to OSU OSL a while back no longer applies.  If we
chose to go the other direction (move more CI to OSU OSL, say if GitLab
changes their CI terms/fees) that should now be entirely practical.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions