`allow trusted domains = no` and `Unix Users`

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Sep 4 14:07:23 UTC 2023

On Monday, 4 September 2023 15:05:40 CEST Rowland Penny via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2023 14:33:21 +0200
>
> Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Monday, 4 September 2023 11:38:11 CEST Rowland Penny via
> >
> > samba-technical wrote:
> > > On Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:07:10 +0200
> > > Andreas Schneider via samba-technical
> > > <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>

> > > Stop me if I am wrong, but doesn't 'allow trusted domains = no' mean
> > > that you only trust the domain that the computer is part of, so
> > > local users will not be part of that domain.
> >
> > local users are not part of any domain as they are local to the
> > machine. However you can map domain users to local users.
>
> My understanding is that you would require something like idmap_nss to
> map local users to domain users, so if this is the case, wouldn't
> this mean that you couldn't have any domain users on the machine if
> they were not also local users ?

No, not at all, see 'force user` or `username map` options.

> > The allow trusted domains documentation says:
> >
> > If it is set to no, then attempts to connect to a resource from a
> > domain or workgroup other than the one which smbd is running in will
> > fail, even if that domain is trusted by the remote server doing the
> > authentication.
> >
> > 'Unix Users' is a special domain for local users and smbd is running
> > in that domain too. It is a local domain.
>
> I think you might find that 'Unix Users' is actually a workgroup.

There is nothing like this in the Windows world. It is a Samba thing ...

> > > Also, as I understand it, if you are trying to connect to the share
> > > as a local user that the domain knows nothing about, you will be
> > > denied access, but if you connect to the share as a known user and
> > > 'force user = localuser' is in the share, then everything would end
> > > up belonging to 'localuser'
> >
> > You do not connect as a local user, you do connect as a domain user
> > however all share operations will happen under the user you specify
> > with "focre user".
>
> Well, yes you do connect as a local user, it is just that Samba maps
> a domain user to a local user. In a domain, using something like
> idmap_rid, the domain users become local users, hence 'getent passwd'
> will display a domain users Unix details.

This has nothing to do with id mapping. Especially not the bug. The bug is
about 'force user = localunixuser' not working.

Trusted domain is an AD term and it means normally domains having a trust. If
you want you can says there is always a machine local trust. If you don't
trust your local machine, you shouldn't be using it in the first place :-)

> My feelings are that if 'allow trusted domains = no' is set, then it
> should do what it says, only trust the domain set in smb.conf, 'Unix
> Users, is not set in smb.conf, so it should not be allowed.

There is no domain Unix Users in the Windows world! It is something Samba
internal!

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D