SMB3-POSIX: Move section 3 inside section 2 as 2.3

Tom Talpey tom at talpey.com
Thu Oct 19 18:10:51 UTC 2023

On 10/19/2023 1:27 PM, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> On 10/19/23 19:12, David Mulder wrote:
>>
>> On 10/19/23 11:09 AM, Ralph Boehme wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> what would be your thoughts on this one?
>>>
>>> https://codeberg.org/SMB3UNIX/smb3_posix_spec/pulls/3
>>>
>>> @Jeremy: do you think you'd have some spare time to work with me on
>>> the section 3 server behavior stuff?
>>>

>> Fine with me. Ralph, I've made you a member of the project, so you can
>> make any changes you like now.
>
> thanks, but I'd like to keep a "needs two team members ack" policy. I
> don't thing we need signed-off and review-by stuff, but we definitely
> need more then two eyes on changes. :)

I agree that's a good policy.

I noticed the same issue - section 3 in the usual template is for
processing, and it's appropriate to place data structure stuff
elsewhere. These filesystem-specific structs live in MS-FSCC in
the Microsoft docs. It may not be a good idea to infect that
document, but a new section 2.3 might not be the best choice
either, since it's not a normal template. It's ok for now.

I have some changes in mind for some of the other 2.x sections
too, after looking at the terminologies during SDC IOLab. Hopefully
will have time soon to organize them.

What about "Client processing"?