Samba in Kubernetes (and Containers) - Release v0.4

John Mulligan phlogistonjohn at asynchrono.us
Thu Nov 30 17:40:05 UTC 2023

On Thursday, November 30, 2023 11:51:28 AM EST Ralph Boehme via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> thanks to you and anyone else working on this!
>
> Any highlights of what's new in 0.4?

I probably should have copied some of them into the email. The features are
mostly in sambacc (which is the tool the drives the startup/automation of
samba-container server images).
We added
* Support for custom global options in AD DC configurations
* Preliminary support for configurations fetched via HTTP/HTTPS or Ceph RADOS

The samba-container release takes the new sambacc as well as newer samba
versions.

The samba-operator build includes a newer version of Go and is updated to make
use of the new samba-operator build. It also gets a fixed version of the
'kustomize' configuration files for deployment on kubernetes.

Thank you for asking!

> On 11/30/23 16:03, John Mulligan via samba-technical wrote:
>
> > The team behind the "Samba in Kubernetes" organization is happy to
> > announce
 our third batch of releases. Release v0.4 includes both
> > features and fixes across three of our five publicly-consumable projects.
> > These are the samba- operator, samba-container, and sambacc projects.
> > These releases are part of our plan to make releases twice a year, or
> > approximately every 6 months.
> > Our little organization may be called "Samba in Kubernetes" but the
> > projects
 go beyond just Kubernetes. The images built using the
> > samba-container project are standard OCI container images, so they can
> > work just as well on Docker or Podman as on Kubernetes or another
> > compatible container orchestration system. The smbmetrics project can
> > export Samba metrics as a Prometheus
> > endpoint even if you don't have a container in sight.
> >
> > As previously mentioned, this is a batch of related projects. URLs for
> > each
 new release are available below:

> > * https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-operator/releases/tag/v0.4
> > *
> > https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-container/releases/tag/v0.4
> > * https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/sambacc/releases/tag/v0.4
> >
> > Other projects in our organization either had no changes since the last
> > release or are not ready/intended for wide consumption.
> >
> > We'd love to hear your feedback. We have the github discussions
> > (web-forum
> > style) feature enabled on many of the repos. We also routinely read the
> > samba
 project mailing lists, so feel free to reply here as well.