[SMB3UNIX] Add POSIX-FSA and POSIX-FSCC

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Fri Nov 24 18:36:33 UTC 2023

On 11/20/23 15:43, David Mulder via samba-technical wrote:
> Great work Ralph! Thanks for working on these. I'm fine with moving it
> to samba gitlab.

cool, thanks! We can later also publish elsewhere if desired.

I've now put out the document split as an MR on gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/smb3-posix-spec/-/merge_requests/1

MR number 1, how neat! :)

I'm putting this now out for broader discussion. Is everyone happy with
the idea described in the MR?

---8<---
As discussed in private, I came to realize that we really need three
documents to properly document server behaviour. I'm proposing we create
a set of nicely named documents, following Microsoft's nomenclature:
POSIX-SMB2, POSIX-FSA and POSIX-FSCC.
In this patchseries I add POSIX-FSCC, moving the filesystem structure
definitions that were previously in POSIX-SMB2, and add a boilerplate
POSIX-FSA document.
I already have extensive additions on top of this for POSIX-SMB2, adding
client and server behaviour, and POSIX-FSA, documenting filesytem
behaviour changes need for open processing, delete-on-close and
byte-range locks. More is coming...
---8<---

Fwiw, the WIP branch on top is:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/smb3-posix-spec/-/commits/slow-wip