[SMB3UNIX] Add POSIX-FSA and POSIX-FSCC

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Sat Nov 18 19:02:55 UTC 2023

Hi!

I've worked a lot on the spec over the last 2 weeks.

I've mostly finished POSIX-SMB2 (the existing spec, first link below)
and while working on that I realized that it makes absolutely no sense
to have filesystem behaviour in POSIX-SMB2, so I've started a POSIX-FSA
document alongside POSIX-FSCC.

Naming convention:

I'm following MS nomenclature, just replacing the MS- prefix with POSIX,
which gives POSIX-SMB2, POSIX-FSA and POSIX-FSCC. With these it's
possible to have nice and consistent cross references.

Current WIP:

https://www.samba.org/~slow/smb3_posix_extensions.html
https://www.samba.org/~slow/fsa_posix_extensions.html
https://www.samba.org/~slow/fscc_posix_extensions.html

I've created a project for this under the Samba umbrella on gitlab here:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/smb3-posix-spec

WIP branch:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/smb3-posix-spec/-/commits/slow-wip

The hosting of the spec on Codeberg feels a somewhat odd and having the
spec hosted where most contributors already have an account simplifies
collaboration. We can of course continue to push master to Codeberg once
in a while to have an independent hosting, if that is what some might
prefer?

I'm planning to finish POSIX-FSA in the next weeks. I'm happy to take
reviews, fixes, improvements and "you can't do this!".

-slow