I want to make ADCS support better and I need some advice

Joe Dillon joseph at outurnate.com
Mon Nov 13 21:53:09 UTC 2023

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023, at 9:50 AM, David Mulder via samba-technical wrote:

> On 11/13/23 7:28 AM, Ralph Boehme via samba-technical wrote:
> > On 11/13/23 14:56, David Mulder via samba-technical wrote:
> >> I'd additionally like to be able to contribute rust code to Samba,
> >> and I'm certainly glad to see someone wanting to work on certificate
> >> auto enrollment. I know there is some opposition to providing rust
> >> code in Samba, I think because of platform support.
> >
> > iirc this was about AIX for which we do provide our SAMBA+ packages,
> > but last time I checked several months ago AIX support was about to be
> > released in rust, so this is likely not an issue anymore.
> Hrm, interesting. So perhaps we could work out a way to include Rust
> code in Samba.
>
> --
> David Mulder
> Labs Software Engineer, Samba
> SUSE
> 1221 S Valley Grove Way, Suite 500
> Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
> (P)+1 385.208.2989
> dmulder at suse.com
> http://www.suse.com

AIX support is a tier-3 target in rust: https://github.com/rust-lang/compiler-team/issues/553.  Samba already depends dev-depends on rust (selftest requires python3-cryptography).  What's usually a showstopper for rust is gcc support.

In my opinion, it makes the most sense to not re-invent the wheel though.  I had to write a Certificate Management over CMS implementation in rust because one didn't exist.  Python has python-cmc.  Would pulling in a dependency on python-asn1crypto be acceptable?  As I understand the source, the samba python module doesn't pull in any dependencies right now?

Am I correct that the modules samba.dcerpc and ldb are currently undocumented?

Thanks,
Joe Dillon