rust in Samba (for certificate auto-enrolment)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 13 19:21:16 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-11-13 at 12:04 -0700, David Mulder via samba-technical
wrote:
> On 11/13/23 11:42 AM, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> > On Mon, 2023-11-13 at 15:28 +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba-
> > technicalwrote:
> > > iirc this was about AIX for which we do provide our SAMBA+
> > > packages,butlast time I checked several months ago AIX support
> > > was about to bereleased in rust, so this is likely not an issue
> > > anymore.
> > I would love to see some ways to start trying rust in Samba.  We
> > willonly really know how we feel about it once we actually start
> > using itin anger, and our packagers start trying to package the
> > result etc.
> > Things that don't touch the core file server offering are clearly
> > goingto be the easiest targets, while we start to understand what
> > workingwith rust will means for Samba.
> > So I think this is an ideal place to start.
> > Python was in the same boat for a while, and so there is a
> > --without-python build we test that only uses python for thebuild,
> > but produces no python requirements in a bare fileserver.
> > That helped us get over the line.
> I've also thought of writing some AAD/Entra ID stuff in Rust for
> Samba.

Yeah, and I think that is also ideal.  It is much less problematic if
new features, rather than existing functionality, has additional
requirements.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions