rust in Samba (for certificate auto-enrolment)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 13 18:42:46 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-11-13 at 15:28 +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba-technical
wrote:
> On 11/13/23 14:56, David Mulder via samba-technical wrote:
> > I'd additionally like to be able to contribute rust code to Samba,
> > and
> > I'm certainly glad to see someone wanting to work on certificate
> > auto
> > enrollment. I know there is some opposition to providing rust code
> > in
> > Samba, I think because of platform support.
>
> iirc this was about AIX for which we do provide our SAMBA+ packages,
> but
> last time I checked several months ago AIX support was about to be
> released in rust, so this is likely not an issue anymore.

I would love to see some ways to start trying rust in Samba.  We will
only really know how we feel about it once we actually start using it
in anger, and our packagers start trying to package the result etc.

Things that don't touch the core file server offering are clearly going
to be the easiest targets, while we start to understand what working
with rust will means for Samba.

So I think this is an ideal place to start.

Python was in the same boat for a while, and so there is a
--without-python build we test that only uses python for the
build, but produces no python requirements in a bare fileserver.

That helped us get over the line.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions