Displaying streams as xattrs

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Sat May 27 00:54:14 UTC 2023

On Fri, May 26, 2023, 06:03 Björn JACKE <bj at sernet.de> wrote:

> On 2023-05-25 at 18:50 -0500 Steve French via samba-technical sent off:
> > Today the "RichACLs" can be displayed multiple ways (e.g. "getcifsacl"
> > and various other
> > tools and also via system xattrs).
> > Being able to display "RichACLs" makes sense - and I am fine with
> > mapping these (and
> > probably would make sense to at least have a readonly mapping of the
> > existing richacls on
> > a file to "posixacl") and RichACLs are very important.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier to let them also be queried for cifs.ko via
> > "system.getrichacl" (or whatever
> > the "getrichacl" tool used in various xfstests uses)?
> >
> > I was also wondering how we should display (and how to retrieve via
> > SMB3) "claims based ACLs" (presumably these are reasonably common on a
> > few server types like Windows)?
>
> let's stop calling them RichACLs becuase that was only the name that
> Andreas
> Grünbacher was giving his implementation of the NFS4 ACLs

Remember that at Connectathon conferences years ago when nfs4.1 ACLS were
explained  (fixing NFS 4 ACLS to address some missed things). The NFS ACL
ideas were modelled after smb ACLs so NFS ACLs have many similarities to
their predecessor SMB ACLs (although presumably do not support claims based
ACEs/CBAC/DAC yet)