Displaying streams as xattrs

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 25 16:15:36 UTC 2023

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 08:57:18PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical wrote:
>On Wed, 24 May 2023 at 08:34, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> ADS - "Just Say No !"
>
>I think that is a flawed argument.
>It only really means that the virus scanners are broken. So we tell
>the virus scanner folks to fix their software.
>Viruses hide inside all sort of files and metadata.
>There are viruses that hide inside JPEG files too and some of them
>even gain privilege escalations through carefully corrupted JPEG
>files.
>We fix the bugs in the parser, we don't "drop support for JPEG files".

What is the use-case for ADS on Linux ? And don't say "Windows
compatibility" - stories about your mother's advice about
jumping off a cliff have meaning here :-).

Give me an actual *need* for ADS on Linux that can't
be satified any other way before you start plumbing
this horror into the internal VFS code.