Displaying streams as xattrs

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Thu May 25 09:39:00 UTC 2023

On 2023-05-22 at 09:21 -0700 Jeremy Allison via samba-technical sent off:
> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 01:39:50AM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> > On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 11:33 PM ronnie sahlberg
> > <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > A problem  we have with xattrs today is that we use EAs and these are
> > > case insensitive.
> > > Even worse I think windows may also convert the names to uppercase :-(
> > > And there is no way to change it in the registry :-(
> >
> > But for alternate data streams if we allowed them to be retrieved via xattrs,
> > would case sensitivity matter?  Alternate data streams IIRC are already
> > case preserving.   Presumably the more common case is for a Linux user
> > to read (or backup) an existing alternate data stream (which are usually
> > created by Windows so case sensitivity would not be relevant).
>
> Warning Will Robinson ! Mixing ADS and xattrs on the client side is a receipe for
> confusion and disaster IMHO.
>
> They really are different things. No good will come of trying to mix
> the two into one client namespace.

just took a look at how the ntfs-3g module is handling this. It was an option
streams_interface=value, which allows "windows", which means that the
alternative data streams are accessable as-is like in Windows, with ":" being
the separator. This might be a nice option for cifsfs also. That option would
just be usable if no posix extensions are enabled of course.

Björn