Samba in Kubernetes (and Containers) - Release v0.3

John Mulligan phlogistonjohn at asynchrono.us
Thu Jun 29 16:41:18 UTC 2023

The team behind the "Samba in Kubernetes" project is happy to announce our
second batch of releases. Release v0.3 includes both features and fixes across
our set of five release-ready repositories. These are the samba-operator,
samba-container, smbmetrics, svcwatch, and sambacc projects.

Our little organization may be called "Samba in Kubernetes" but the projects
go beyond just Kubernetes. The images built using the samba-container project
are standard OCI container images, so they can work just as well on Docker or
Podman as on Kubernetes or another compatible container orchestration system.
[1] The smbmetrics project can export Samba metrics as a Prometheus
endpoint even if you don't have a container in sight.

As previously mentioned, this is a batch of related projects. URLs for each
project's release are available below:

* https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-operator/releases/tag/v0.3
* https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-container/releases/tag/v0.3
* https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/smbmetrics/releases/tag/v0.3
* https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/svcwatch/releases/tag/v0.3
* https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/sambacc/releases/tag/v0.3

Starting with this release we plan on adhering to a more regular release
cadence. We intend to make use of a six-month schedule. So look for the next
release in near the fall/winter of 2023!

We'd love to hear your feedback. We have the github discussions (web-forum
style) feature enabled on many of the repos. We also routinely read the samba
project mailing lists, so feel free to reply here as well.

Thank you for your time.

[1] - A topic for which I created demos to be shown at this year's sambaXP.
See: https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-container/discussions/129
and https://github.com/samba-in-kubernetes/samba-container/discussions/130
for more details