What is the status of KDC resource group compression support in Samba?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 28 21:04:28 UTC 2023

On Fri, 2023-07-28 at 01:07 +0300, Pavel Kalugin via samba-technical
wrote:
> On 7/27/23 22:28, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Thu, 2023-07-27 at 16:16 +0300, Pavel Kalugin via samba-technical
> > wrote:
> > > Q1: What is the status of KDC resource group compression in Samba? Are
> > > there any plans to include it in any upcoming release?
> >
> > This will ship in Samba 4.19, of which RC1 is due today.
>
> Great!
>
> > It is always awesome to see new folks interested in Samba development.
> >
> > I would warn that, particularly at the quality standard Samba has come
> > to expect, that new features and the associated battery of tests are
> > harder to develop than you might have assumed.
>
> I see. To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the complexity of Samba
> but, the more interesting it will be to understand all of this.
>
> > Realising that your time will be driven by what you or your customers
> > need, I would still encourage your first efforts to be on a less-core
> > feature if possible, so you can get comfortable with the process.
> >
> > Anyway, welcome to Samba development.  If you can it would be good to
> > understand your goals further, given that thankfully this particular
> > task is already complete, to see if we can find a good 'first
> > submission' task for you to start on.
>
> In general, there is much of an interest around me to move away from
> Windows to Linux-only environment, keeping all the AD-based
> infrastructure in the "just working" state. This is perfectly doable
> with Samba, except that support for 2012R2 level is required by the
> customer. One of the features missed was "KDC resource groups
> compression". Now, version 4.19 will hopefully fix it, but the status of
> SID history compression is still unclear to me, so let me ask again:
> will this feature (SID history compression) be supported?

SID history is not supported in Samba, and so hasn't been specifically
taken into account in the compression implementation.

When such support is added, it would seem sensible to ensure they are
'compressed' (really just a prefix header + list of RIDs) the same way
as windows does.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him) https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba