What is the status of KDC resource group compression support in Samba?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 27 19:28:38 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-07-27 at 16:16 +0300, Pavel Kalugin via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Recently, some support for KDC resource group compression was added to
> Samba by commit e3fdb2d
> (https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/commit/e3fdb2d00152d86558a2ba29b92fd36440055461).
> The commit message explicitly mentioned "domain-local groups" only,
> while the Microsoft description of the feature
> (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/hh831747(v=ws.11)#kdc-resource-group-compression)
> also mentions "universal groups, and groups associated with security
> identifier history".
> Also, there were some relevant commits which enable a bunch of
> previously disabled group tests, but several tests are still disabled
> for Heimdal, and even more for MIT Kerberos.
>
> Q1: What is the status of KDC resource group compression in Samba? Are
> there any plans to include it in any upcoming release?

This will ship in Samba 4.19, of which RC1 is due today.

The developers involved in this feature targeted Heimdal Kerberos, the
MIT support tends to come later when the developers involved in that
port use the tests to devise the upstream changes required to MIT and
get them into a release, whereas we have more freedom to change our
fork of Heimdal (and upstream our changes where possible).

It is always awesome to see new folks interested in Samba development.

I would warn that, particularly at the quality standard Samba has come
to expect, that new features and the associated battery of tests are
harder to develop than you might have assumed.

Realising that your time will be driven by what you or your customers
need, I would still encourage your first efforts to be on a less-core
feature if possible, so you can get comfortable with the process.

Anyway, welcome to Samba development.  If you can it would be good to
understand your goals further, given that thankfully this particular
task is already complete, to see if we can find a good 'first
submission' task for you to start on.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)        https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Team Member (since 2001)  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT    https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba