Is Samba AIO affected by recent Linux data corruption bug?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 14 08:38:22 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-12-14 at 08:38 +0100, Bram Matthys via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> In relation to the recent Linux filesystem corruption bug with
> O_DIRECT [1]. I read that to trigger this, an application needs to
> use O_DIRECT and that the bug is that the file position is not
> updated properly. So the bug does not happen with pwrite(), or if
> lseek() is always called prior.

No, Samba does not use O_DIRECT (and it would be a lot of work to make
it do so, I investigated this once!) in the file server.
An incredibly rarely used client tool, cifsdd, uses it optionally with
--direct

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions