Can fallocate() ops be emulated better using SMB request compounding?

David Howells dhowells at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 17:50:50 UTC 2023

Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> >Further, are the two ops then essentially done atomically?
>
> No. They are processed (at least in Samba) as two separate
> requests and can be raced by local or other remote access.

So just compounding them would leave us in the same situation we are in now -
which would be fine.

What do you think about the idea of having the server see a specifically
arranged compounded pair and turn them into an op that can't otherwise be
represented in the protocol?

Or is it better to try and get the protocol extended?

David