samba4repo for Amazon linux 2023: Any notes?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 22:23:31 UTC 2023

On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 7:06 PM Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-08-14 at 08:43 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2023-08-12 at 17:59 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba-
> > technical wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 8:29 AM Jule Anger via samba-technical<
> > > samba-technical at lists.samba.org
> > >
> > > I've taken a shot at bringing this over to Amazon Linux 2023,
> > > alongwith my RHEL 8 and 9 tools over at
> > > https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/
> > >  . Unfortunately, the bits
> > > of missing dependency get out of hand *really* fast. so I'm going to
> > > have to set it aside until and unless Amazon decides to port a *lot*
> > > more of the Fedora release they branched from. It's not the first
> > > time
> > > I've run into the problem. If anyone else wants to take a shot, I'm
> > > happyto post my notes.
> >
> > I have greatly appreciated your work here, thanks so much for your
> > continuing attention to this packaging effort.
> > Your notes on Amazon Linux 2023 would be very useful.
> > Thanks!
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> Nico,
>
> Any chance you can post those Amazon Linux 2023 notes?
>
> As you know I did some work in that area in the past.

I've been publishing a branch in my git repo with. It's messy, but
the Makefile shows most of the problem by listing the required
components of the dependency tree which I've encountered so far.

    https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/blob/nkadel-amazon2023/Makefile

> Amazon Linux keeps on being just on the outside of Samba's easily-
> supported and CI-tested distribution set and it would be very useful to
> keep track of the details and requirements there.

The recent "mock" enabled support for Amazon Linux  2023, makes simple
build validation *so much easier*. But it's exposed the dependency
quagmire, of components that Amazon has not elected to provide. But
firebird? glusterfs? qt5? I personally do *not* want to take on
importing qt5 to Amazon Linux 2023. And it's not availalbe, at first
glance, for use on Amazon Linux 2023 itself. I've tried to port it,
and it is also missing a lot of dependencies.