Does the Samba AD functionality support setting up a Samba server as a DC in a subdomain to an existing forest?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 27 21:15:17 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-08-24 at 07:35 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 11:51 PM Andrew Bartlett <
> abartlet at samba.org
> > wrote:
> > On Wed, 2023-08-23 at 22:28 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-
> > technical wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I want to set up one (or two) Samba DCs in, say test.qa as dc1 and
> >
> > dc2. There seems to be clear documentation on how to do this.
> >

> > Then I want to set up another Samba DC in subdom.test.qa as
> > dc1.subdom.test.qa.
> >

> > Is this supported by Samba 4.19 and how would I go about doing it?
> >

> > Not as a subdomain in an existing forest.  Only as a distinct
> > forest.
> >
> > I started the work but never finished it.
> >
> > Sorry,
>
> What would it take to complete that work? Not that I have lots of
> spare time, but ...

To finish it would take a lot of time, but to get something to a state
where you could use it for error injection and basic tests might be
simpler.  And I love having more developers on the AD code.

5583208aed0e4647269e48aa1d3c5c48a73001ac removed the ability to access
the code that is in master, we deliberately didn't remove the
underlying code, just the point of access that was confusing to our
users.

There are some branches here that might have bits you need:
 https://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=heads

Metze might also have some patches in his tree, I'm sure he will
mention a reference if he has one.

His repo is here: https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=heads

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions