Error injection in the MSRPC code in Samba as an AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 25 19:53:45 UTC 2023

On Fri, 2023-08-25 at 09:02 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi folks (and Jeremy :-),
>
> We have seen a bunch of issues around winbindd and issues caused by
> errors from Windows domain controllers or delays because the DCs are
> far away or slow.
>
> To try to create more robust code I have embarked on a project to
> allow the injection of errors into the Samba AD code when handling
> MSRPC requests.
>
> We tried other approaches, like using the Linux networking code to
> randomly drop packets or inject delays, but this was not very useful.
> We also tried adding error injection into the winbind code when
> handling responses, but that creates issues around packaging. So, it
> seemed like it would be easier to add it to the AD code and then
> provision test systems with the correct setups.

I've thought for more than a decade that those deploying Samba as a
file-server for customers could really benefit from using Samba as an
AD DC for testing.  I hadn't imagined this creative use - I just
figured it would be easier to automate etc.

So I really love this!

Andrew Bartlett (he/him) https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba