Error injection in the MSRPC code in Samba as an AD

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 16:02:43 UTC 2023

Hi folks (and Jeremy :-),

We have seen a bunch of issues around winbindd and issues caused by
errors from Windows domain controllers or delays because the DCs are
far away or slow.

To try to create more robust code I have embarked on a project to
allow the injection of errors into the Samba AD code when handling
MSRPC requests.

We tried other approaches, like using the Linux networking code to
randomly drop packets or inject delays, but this was not very useful.
We also tried adding error injection into the winbind code when
handling responses, but that creates issues around packaging. So, it
seemed like it would be easier to add it to the AD code and then
provision test systems with the correct setups.

The changes occur in a couple of areas:

1. In PIDL I have modified the generated code to parse an smb.conf
parameter to do error injection during the RPC library setup and then
to handle the specific requests when functions are called (see below
for more details of the smb.conf params.)

2. In librpc/rpc/dcesrv_core.c et al, allow delays to be inserted into
RPC responses by using some tevent magic.

The sort of smb.conf parameters I am thinking of are:

lsarpc error inject = lsa_LookupSids error NT_STATUS_RPC_CALL_FAILED 10

which says to inject the specified error into lsa_LookupSids every
tenth call, or

lsarpc error inject = lsa_LookupSids delay 30000 10

inject a delay of 30,000 milliseconds into every tenth call.

Having said all that, there seems to be willingness among my managers
to try to upstream this code.

So, is this of interest to anyone?

Should I post examples of the changes (to 4.19.0rc1 but they seem to
apply to master).

Is anyone interested in providing feedback?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe