What is the status of KDC resource group compression support in Samba?

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Wed Aug 2 07:25:30 UTC 2023

On Friday, 28 July 2023 00:07:03 CEST Pavel Kalugin via samba-technical wrote:

Hi Pavel!

> In general, there is much of an interest around me to move away from
> Windows to Linux-only environment, keeping all the AD-based
> infrastructure in the "just working" state. This is perfectly doable
> with Samba, except that support for 2012R2 level is required by the
> customer. One of the features missed was "KDC resource groups
> compression". Now, version 4.19 will hopefully fix it, but the status of
> SID history compression is still unclear to me, so let me ask again:
> will this feature (SID history compression) be supported?

In case you're looking into a first task. We need to replace lp_set_cmdline()
with lpcfg_set_cmdline() everywhere. The reason is that lp_set_cmdline() leaks
memory.

First start changing the client tools, which will be easy. The server side
might be a bit trickier. However it will give you a good first entry point.

Here is an example:
https://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/asn-lpcfg

Best regards

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D