SMB3 Posix Setinfo class?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Sep 26 17:21:31 UTC 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 11:12:28AM -0600, David Mulder wrote:
>Currently I've defined in the smb3 posix spec a set info request to
>use the FilePosixInformation class defined here:
>
>https://codeberg.org/dmulder/smb3_posix_spec#2-2-34-1-fileposixinformation
>
>I noticed that MS-FSCC (section 2.4) defines different info classes
>for set and query.
>
>It seems to me that FilePosixInformation, as it's currently defined,
>is better defined as a query only class. Most of the attributes are
>not modifiable via a setinfo. I think we should define an additional
>info class for setinfo, allowing you to set POSIXPerms (any other
>attributes make sense here?).
>
>Either way, I don't think anyone has implemented setinfo for
>FilePosixInformation anyway (it's not in Samba at least).
>
>Thoughts?

What specific attributes do you want to set with
FilePosixInformation ?

The file mode (rwxrwxrwx) is set by a normal
SetNTACL request with a specially formatted
ACL.

I can't think of anything else POSIX-specific that
can't be set with a standard SMB3 setinfo
the same way it's set on a Windows handle.

I don't think we need SetFilePosixInformation
at all.