Bug in Printerdriver upload 4.14rc1

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Sat Feb 6 15:54:57 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm just testing setting up a printserver with 4.14. I use both, the
Sernet-packages and the packages from Louis van Belle on debian buster.
I have three print server running:
one with Sernet 4.14rc2
one with Louis 4.14rc1
one with Louis 4.13

All set up exactly the same with this smb.conf:
--------
[global]
      workgroup = EXAMPLE
      realm = EXAMPLE.NET
      security = ADS
      winbind refresh tickets = Yes
      winbind use default domain = yes
      template shell = /bin/bash
      idmap config * : range = 10000 - 19999
      idmap config EXAMPLE : backend = rid
      idmap config EXAMPLE : range =  10000000 - 19999999

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        comment = printer drivers
        create mask = 0775
        inherit permissions = yes
        read only = no

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        comment = spooling directory
        create mask = 0700
        browsable = no
        read only = no
        printable = yes

--------

I set permission for all systems:
--------
chgrp -R 'domain admins' /var/lib/samba/printers/
chmod -R 775 /var/lib/samba/printers/
net rpc rights grant 'example\Domain Admins' SePrintOperatorPrivilege -k
-S <print-server-name>
--------

Set up Cups with two printers an I can see the printers:
-------
root at ps1:~# smbclient -L ps1 -k

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        print$          Disk      printer drivers
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba
4.14.0rc2-SerNet-Debian-1.buster)
        HL3230-ps1      Printer   HL3230-ps1
        HP6-ps1         Printer   HP6-ps1
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available
-------

I login at my windows-system with my domain-admin starting the "print
management app" Add all three print server. I can see the printers for
each print server (every printer server is showing it's own printers).

Then I click on "drivers" to add a new signed driver. Widows is showing
the progress bar for uploading the driver to the print server. On both
4.14 print servers the directory /var/lib/samba/printers/x86/3 is
created but empty, only the one with 4.13 has the files for the driver.
No error on the windows-system, no error on both of the Samba print servers.
The app is showing the driver as present! But there are no files on the
print server, only on the 4.13 system.

Did I miss something from the changes in 4.14 or is this a bug?

I'm just writing my handout for the tutorial on SambaXP so I have every
step written down, if you want to know what I did exactly I could mail
you the (note yet finished) script with all my steps. (It's in English ;-) )

--
Stefan Kania
Landweg 13

Signieren jeder E-Mail hilft Spam zu reduzieren und schützt Ihre
Privatsphäre. Ein kostenfreies Zertifikat erhalten Sie unter
https://www.dgn.de/dgncert/index.html