Duplicate SMB file_ids leading to Windows client cache poisoning

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Fri Dec 10 16:39:24 UTC 2021

On 12/10/21 16:53, Andrew Walker wrote:
> Do we know that there are still issues with MacOS when an inode is
> reused during the lifetime of an SMB session? Do we have an easy way
> to reproduce the MacOS issue? Perhaps if we can determine that the
> issue only impacts legacy versions of MacOS we can go back to just
> returning the inode and tell people with EOL MacOS to upgrade :)

All I know is that "some applications" encompasses core stuff that uses
the file-is a primary key to a key/value store that maps ids to
filesystem objects. So reusing ids is (or was) a sure way to screw up
Mac clients.

I'll check with Brad what he would prefer.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba