Checking if Samba is running as an AD DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 28 20:17:59 UTC 2020

On 28/05/2020 21:00, hezekiah maina via samba-technical wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to first express my gratitude to the entire Samba community.
> You have been kind and very responsive whenever I ask for help or advice.
> Thank you.
>
> How else should I check that Samba is running as an AD DC apart from
> looking at the smb.conf file?
> Is there a process that gives me this kind of information?

This is Linux, there are several ways ;-)

Two that spring to mind are (both run on what you think is a DC):

ps ax | grep '[s]amba'

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.$(hostname -d) | grep $(hostname -s)

If you get any output from the first, it is a DC. Same goes for the
second, but it will also work on any Unix domain machine if you remove
the pipe '|' and anything after it.

Rowland