GPO application in Samba

Igor Chudov nir at basealt.ru
Wed Nov 6 09:10:01 UTC 2019

Hello!

I'm an ALT Linux maintainer and I'm studying Samba code related to work
with GPOs. I've read these three presentations:

https://sambaxp.org/fileadmin/user_upload/sambaXP2018-Slides/Mulder-SambaXP-2018_2--klein.pdf
https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/slides/cifs-workshop-2007/CIFS2007-Samba-Group-Policy-engine.pdf
https://www.samba.org/~obnox/presentations/linux-kongress-2008/lk2008-obnox.pdf

and found this information about Group Policy Editor implementation:

https://mytechinsights.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/group-policy-management-console-for-linux/
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-March/126534.html

I've also found this MR:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/32

and at ALT Linux we're developing some ADMX files to allow easier
integration of ALT Linux into domain:

https://github.com/altlinuxteam/admx-basealt

so it would be nice to standardize the approach.

In the end: I'm too lazy to reinvent the wheel. I would be glad to
contact David Mulder and other Samba Team members and cooperate in
development of samba-gpupdate utility, related libraries and Group
Policy extensions (solibs and Python modules). Also it would be nice if
I will be able to modify yast-gpmc so it will be able to run in a
generic distribution, not only SuSE Linux.

I also have a question about intended usage of gpext.conf file in
python/samba/gpclass.py . I've found no documentation except code about
this part. Could anybody possibly clarify the purpose of this file?

---
With best regards, Igor Chudov.