Some bugzilla work and thoughts

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Wed Jun 12 13:56:27 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-12 at 08:05 +0200 Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical sent off:
> > It would be good to have an indication regarding the release
> > version/tag to which a particular bug fix has gone through while it
> > is
> > getting closed as RESOLVED+FIXED. We could either use a bugzilla
> > comment or built-in 'Fixed in version' field to mark the version/tag.
>
> Yeah, I generally do that, indeed that search takes most of the time
> when doing triage.  Perhaps one of the bugzilla admins can comment on
> the practicality of extra fields.

this is what the "Target Milestone" is for which we already have, which says:
the fix has gone/will go to release branch X and up. It's not meant for setting
the exact version though. The "Target Milestone" is not often used in our Bugs
currently, maybe because the flag is not well known? Adding a Target
Milestone value for each release version does not look practical to me and will
cause more work and trouble than good. Karolin might consider to add the
upcoming samba version where it currently just says in the comment text "Pushed
to autobuild-v4-[7|8]-test." On the other hand I think it's not too much to ask
for also to look the exact release version up in the release notes (or the git
history if you prefer) in case that someone is interested in the exact
version where a fix went in. All the bug IDs are listed nicely in the
release notes already.

Björn