Turning off SMB1 make slashdot and theregister !

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jul 30 17:21:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:51:51PM +0100, miguel medalha via samba-technical wrote:
> > I'm working on modernizing the fileserver VFS right
> > now, and the requirements to keep SMB1 working are
> > causing massive amounts of extra work.
> >
> > If we can ditch SMB1, many many simplifications
> > become possible in the fileserver code that require
> > enormous effort today. Take a look at the directory
> > scanning cleanup fixes I'm going to try and land
> > this week - 99% of that is fixing up old SMB1
> > code that is simply unneeded if we were SMB2+
> > only.
> >
> > The AD-DC codebase moves forward as rapidly as
> > possible to match current Windows needs.
> >
> > The fileserver needs to be able to do the
> > same.
>

> Maybe I am saying something stupid, but why not encapsulate the current
> state of SMB1 and make it a VFS module presentable to the SMB2 layer?

The SMB1 processing takes place above the VFS
layer. It would be more work to do that refactoring
than it would to keep the existing SMB1 mapping
working.

The only way to simplify the fileserver is to
remove the SMB1 code and leave us as SMB2-only.

Use old-Samba mounted on cifsfs (via a vm maybe)
exporting SMB1 to an SMB2 server seems the only
sane solution for old devices to me.