one branch per maintenance version?

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Sat Jan 27 22:12:50 UTC 2018

Hi David,

> One thing I've never quite understood, and still find a bit cumbersome
> is the use of two git branches per maintenance release: one "-test"
> branch and one "-stable" branch.
>
> IIUC, the maintenance process includes staging new bug fixes in the
> "-test" branch until a point release is done. The point release process
> involves adding a release notes commit, tagging it, and moving the
> "-stable" branch up to the latest tag.
>
> Given that we're pretty strict regarding what makes it into a
> maintenance branch, and we don't play any games with rebase/reset,
> couldn't we just drop the "-stable" branch, and just continue to stage
> changes in  "-test" (renamed to e.g. vX.Y-maint) until a point release
> tag "blesses" a given state as stable?

Why? There's no real overhead in having the stable branch.
If you don't want to use it just ignore it:-)

I often use the stable branch for reproducing customer problems.

Some customers also regularly rebase their product branches on
the stable.

The stable branch is also used to create security releases,
where we just want to release the minimal fixes.

metze