Marge-bot: Samba/rust workflow for Gitlab!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 7 22:10:02 UTC 2018

I came across this recently, which is an implementation of the Samba
and rust review and CI workflow for Gitlab.

https://github.com/smarkets/marge-bot

Also, Jamie has been working to make our CI runs faster and more
reliable, which will make this all a lot more practical.

I'm not formally proposing this quite yet, but I also know that making
a massive proposal without discussing the parts here slowly isn't great
either.

However, the aim is to have a workflow on gitlab.com that encourages CI
for every patch set and an easy route to merging them, specifically
aimed at improving:
- the quality of both drive-by contributions (ie what the Github effort
was aimed at)
- the reliablity of getting patches in to samba once OK (by making that
easier)
- our accessibility to the 'github generation'.

and ensuring that
- developers can get CI results faster (eg < 2 hours, not 4)
- 'full-time contributions' pass make test before time is spent on
review.

As you know this has been a passion of mine for a while, and GitHub
hasn't work so well because Samba Team members don't use it.  I hope
that Gitlab might be more acceptable, and I'm slowly starting to move
my development there.

Finally, the trick to getting this to be a great part of Samba would be
if others on the team also want to be part of the effort.  Even a
system based on existing components and cloud services requires some
maintenance, so if you have a passion for that please let me know so it
doesn’t just fall on me (as that doens't work so well).

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba