A plan to get to py3 (was: Re: Pure python3 for the AD DC for Samba 4.10 (5.0))

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Thu Aug 9 08:31:00 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

> Then we have a Samba that builds and runs with python3 and we have
> confidence that the python2 only build still works.  Then we can
> discuss if we need to maintain that, after it becomes the secondary
> target rather than while it is the 'primary'.
>
> Then remove the EXTRA_PYTHON thing.  Metze indicated that he was
> willing to accept that we only do only python at a time, and this is a
> reasonable step.  I hope to understand why we need python 2.7 in the
> long term, and get consensus to remove it, but this is useful anyway.

For the samba build that's fine to remove the EXTRA_PYTHON thing
and use a separate autobuild instead.

But for tdb, talloc, tevent, ldb we need to keep it, I guess
it's fine if it only works with the main python being 2.7 and
extra python 3, it's not required to get the reverse working.

Or we need a different way to generate python bindings for both versions
on top of a single C library.

metze