stale unix domain socket file keeps increasing if winbindd keeps failing

Tue Nov 14 20:22:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:05:21PM -0800, Dave Wang via samba-technical wrote:
> I am running samba 4.6.4, and I have a script periodically run
>
> /usr/sbin/winbindd winbindd -i -s <config_file> -d0

It's not good use of winbind to just keep starting it until it
magically repairs itself. Once either winbind or smbd start, the stale
lockfiles and sockets will be cleaned up.

You might file a bug about us not cleaning up after failing to start
up, but we kindof expect that winbind is not started in a tight loop
as long as it keeps failing.

Also, you might just look with fuser if there's any user of the lock
file left, and if none is failing, just remove it together with the
associated socket.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de