Disabling SMB1 by default

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Jun 20 18:48:06 UTC 2017

Am 20.06.2017 um 14:01 schrieb Andreas Hasenack:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:20:07AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett via
>> samba-technical wrote:

>> disable
>> to get

>> default
>> making

>>> I had the dates as giving us 2 weeks.  Yes, there isn't much time.
>>
>> Yeah, that's too short a time to do anything really. IMHO we
>> just need to help people on the list to turn what they can
>> off themselves for now, and work on how to do the migration
>> properly over the next year or so.
>>

> What is the big issue with allowing the client to try SMB3 first? Won't it
> fallback to SMB2, then NT1, and so on?

We just don't have all code ready for it.

But I've started to work on passing 'make test' with the changed
default, it's not 100% there yet, but it's close.

https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master3-libsmb-ok

I'll post the patches once they pass an autobuild.

> Won't many server admins have disabled SMB1 in their windows servers after
> the wannacry attack?

Yes, the thing is that we need to be sure that the SMB2 code it actually
working and don't introduce regressions which would let applications
fail which would work fine using SMB1.

metze