vfs_fruit: Time Machine/FULLSYNC: add mDNS/DNS-SD advertisement

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Thu Jul 20 04:01:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 10:28:10PM -0400, Kevin Anderson via samba-technical wrote:
> I have never run Netatalk so I can't really comment on it other than I
> know I have heard of many people having issues with backup consistency
> when running with AFP. That's why with the patch we enable strict
> sync'ing to ensure data gets flushed to disk when the client requests
> it. So far this seems to have improved the reliability in the backups
> based on my testing.

That's the point that still scares me: TM over AFP had some builtin sync mechanism
as well, albeit it's designed somewhat differently (afair), which might explain
why corrupted AFP TM volumes are notorious and you don't seem to be able to
trigger corruption in your stress testing.

> I haven't needed to publish those attributes (except for 0x82) to have
> a working configuration. Maybe they were just required for AFP
> backups? They don't seem to be required for SMB based backups
> according to what I have seen. Also I have always been prompted for a
> username/password and given the option to store it in the keychain for
> backups. As for hiding the home share, I would suspect that would be a
> Samba configuration but I will tinker with it later.

Please document your findings. We could add it to our Wiki.

Cheerio!
-slow

[1] AFP: only issues flushes against the share base *directory*
    SMB: issues flushed on open file handles
    So in the case of an AFP flush in the share basedirectory Netatalk does an
    actual complete flush()!