NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY in nosymlinks test

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jul 6 00:30:47 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 08:20:22AM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Friday, 30 June 2017 07:03:17 CEST Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > G'Day Andreas,
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > I've been trying to make our test environments run in parallel, but
> > when I enable that on the Catalyst Cloud, using this branch:
> >
> > https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/par
> > allel-test
> >
> > I (about 50% of the time) get failures in
> > test_nosymlinks() in test_smbclient_s3.sh
> > UNEXPECTED(failure): samba3.blackbox.smbclient_s3.SMB3.plain
> > (ad_member) member creds.follow symlinks = no(ad_member)
> >
> > (sorry for the garbled output, something very odd is going on in the
> > output stream with the escaping)
>
> I've seen the same and tried to find the issue but couldn't nail it down.
>
> > REASON: Exception: Exception: CLI_FORCE_INTERACTIVE=yes
> > /home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/smbclient
> > -ULOCALADMEMBER/ubuntu%loCalMemberPass //LOCALADMEMBER/nosymlinks -I
> > 127.0.0.29
> > --configfile=/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/ab/client/client.conf
> > -mSMB3 NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED opening remote file     est\source
> > CLI_FORCE_INTERACTIVE=yes /home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/smbclient
> > -ULOCALADMEMBER/ubuntu%loCalMemberPass //LOCALADMEMBER/nosymlinks -I
> > 127.0.0.29
> > --configfile=/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/ab/client/client.conf
> > -mSMB3 CLI_FORCE_INTERACTIVE=yes
> > /home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/smbclient
> > -ULOCALADMEMBER/ubuntu%loCalMemberPass //LOCALADMEMBER/nosymlinks -I
> > 127.0.0.29
> > --configfile=/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b20147/samba/bin/ab/client/client.conf
> > -mSMB3 NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY opening remote
> > file       est
ooar       estfile Try "help" do get a list of possible
> > commands.
> > smb: \> cd test
ooar
> > smb:    est
ooar\> ls
> >   .                                   D        0  Fri Jun 30 03:27:08 2017
> >   ..                                  D        0  Fri Jun 30 03:27:08 2017
> >   testfile                            D        0  Fri Jun 30 03:27:08 2017
> >
> >                 10287416 blocks of size 1024. 3260044 blocks available
> > smb:    est
ooar\> get testfile -
> > NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY opening remote
> > file       est
ooar       estfile smb:    est
ooar\> quit
> > failed - NT_STATUS_XXXX doing cd fooar; get testfile on
> > osymlinks
> >
> > It would be great to make some progress on this, because in the
> > successful runs, I see autobuild times drop by 60mins (288 -> 218 on an
> > identical VM)!
> >
> > I had assumed this was due to re-use of the dev/inode, but I tried the
> > attached and it didn't help.  (This happens when files are created or
> > deleted on the client side, not the server side).
>
> I've sent a mail to Jeremy who wrote the code and test for the CVE regression,
> but he asked for a reproducer. I can only reproduce it if I run the test 20
> times in a loop then normally it happens once.
>
> > Another idea would be to wipe the xattr.tdb file between each test.
> >
> > My final idea is to have as much of the deltree and mkdir etc be done
> > over SMB, so they will get an entry in the xattr.tdb, but I've not had
> > time to do this yet.
>
> Hmm. Jeremy any ideas?

FYI. I now have a working smbclient "deltree <wcard>" command.

I'll add a test for it and then propose for inclusion.

Should be easy for you to add this into the nosymlinks tests once it's
in and we'll see if it fixes the problem !

Cheers,

	Jeremy.