Disabling python modules.

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 08:59:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 05:15:34PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> It looks like Gentoo Linux have done some work to
> allow both ldb and samba to build without python:
>
> https://dev.gentoo.org/~polynomial-c/samba-disable-python-patches-4.5.0_rc1.tar.xz
>
> Do we want to persue this and add to the build
> system as an option ? I think there are several
> embedded vendors who might like this option.

Yes, please! An embedded system will need smbd and maybe smbpasswd,
that's it. Possibly winbind. None of those require python.

I do see Andrew's point that tooling is better done in python, although
I'm personally not good enough in it. But we definitely lost focus on
small systems, and anything to get them back gets my full support!

Volker